Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sorry, out of eggs

Foodies take note. Mika Bareket has opened a store that looks small, but will have you browsing and chatting for hours. Good Egg, 267 Augusta Ave. in Kensington Market, is a cookbook store with a twist. A perfect book selection and an array of La Creuset cookware are just some of the things worth checking out. The former manager of Type Bookstore, Bareket has a great sense of style, food and selection. Plus, she gives a shout out to my parents former restaurant, Licken Chicken, where she spent a good deal of her childhood. 

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog when I was looking up the Licken' Chicken restaurant from the 60s. You say your parents owned it? I'm wondering where it was. I found a comment that says it was where the By the Way Cafe is now at Bloor and Brunswick. See: http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/206040-post7.html

I'm hoping that you could confirm this, or tell where it really was. The reason I'm asking is because I'm researching the music scene here in the 60s and apparently Joni Anderson (Joni Mitchell) lived above the Licken Chicken.
Thanks!